Day 24 - Where You Live

I live in a cute town in the crappiest province in the first nation of hockey.  (I would argue it's the greatest country in the world!)

Canada is pretty much summed up as follows:

"Hey,


I'm not a lumberjack, or a Fur trader,
and I don't live in an igloo,
or eat blubber
or own a dogsled.

And I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really, really nice.

I have a prime minister... not a president,
I speak English and French, not American
and I pronounce it About, not A-boot.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack,
I believe in peacekeeping, not policing,
diversity not assimilation,
and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.

A toque is a hat,
a chesterfield is a couch,
and it IS pronounced Zed,
not Zee... ZED!!

Canada is the 2nd largest land mass,

the 1st nation of hockey,

and the best part of North America.

My name is Joe...

and...I......AM......CANADIAN!

Thank you"

Oh did I mention we like our beer here?  That was from a beer commercial back in the 90's.  lol

I am proud to be Canadian, although that does not mean that I have anything against other countries and I can FULLY understand why others love where they live too!  :) 

I live in a country with 2 official languages, that has always had universal healthcare (although it may not be that efficient.)  The birthplace of Michael J Fox, Sarah McLachlan, Leaonard Cohen, Frank Gehry, Ryan Gosling, Rachael McAdams... (I could go on.)  Home of some of the most spectacular scenery in the world.  A country who gained its independence (in practice not in law) through peaceful means and whose peacekeeping record is renowned (my father-in-law wore the blue Beret.)  I feel blessed every day to have been born in a country that encourages me to be my best, and cares for those who have been at their worst.  We may not be perfect, but I am always proud to be Canadian. 




Thank you.

Comments

Cupcake Blonde said…
We really need to come see you some day soon. :)
Odette said…
yes, yes you do. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Public Service Announcement

My first school gripe

I'm confused...