Day 21 - A recipe

My recipe today is for red beans and rice.  I am not a vegetarian, but that does not mean that I feel that I need to eat meat at every meal.  The rice and beans combine to create a complete protein, so I find it a very satisfying meal.  I make a big batch and then eat it for the rest of the week.

(This recipe comes from "It's just food")

1 Tbsp. (15 mL) olive or canola oil


1 onion, peeled and chopped

4 cloves garlic, crushed

2 19 oz. (540 mL) cans red kidney beans, undrained

1 14 oz. (398 mL) can of diced or stewed tomatoes or 1 cup (250 mL) chicken or veggie broth, tomato juice or water

2 bay leaves

1 Tbsp. (15 mL) thyme

2 tsp. (10 mL) oregano

2 tsp. (10 mL) salt

1/2-1 tsp. (2.5-5 mL) pepper

1/2 tsp. (2.5 mL) garlic powder

1/4 tsp. (1 mL) allspice

1/4 tsp. (1 mL) ground cloves

1 tsp. (5 mL) Tabasco sauce

1-1.5 cups uncooked rice (white or brown)



Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 8 minutes, until the onion starts to turn golden. Add the beans, water, rice herbs and spices and simmer for 30-45 minutes, until the mixture is thick. (Add a little extra water if it’s too thick, or if the rice isn't cooked.) Scoop out the bay leaves and serve.
 
You can also add (as I do) extra veggies like peppers, or other beans.  I like to clear out my veggie drawer when I make it ha ha ha.
 
Enjoy! :)

Comments

Cupcake Blonde said…
I am not a big rice or bean eater but this sounds interesting enough to try!

Popular posts from this blog

Public Service Announcement

My first school gripe

I'm confused...