Earth Hour



I am not going to pretend to be one of those people who does enough to protect the environment. I recycle, I use cloth bags at the grocery store, I buy products without excessive packaging (when I can) and I do not even turn the lights on in my house unless I absolutely have to. (I sit and watch TV in the dark, or I'll use our lamp with the high efficiency light bulb instead of turning on the light.) These are the little decisions that I make every day.

Today is not like every day. Tonight at 8:30pm is earth hour a time when people are asked to turn their lights off for one hour to show solidarity towards the global environment. I'm going to participate. I think it's going to be fun actually. My fiance and I plan on turning our lights out and then walking up Mont Royal to see if anyone else follows suit. It's all about the little things. To me what earth hour symbolizes is hope. I mean if so many people can come together to support something that affects people all over the world, then maybe we aren't as divided as we think. Also in a time when the environment is such a politicized topic it's good to know that people really can still have a say.



Anyway I am not going to make this blog all political or anything, but this is just one of the many facets of my personality that many people don't know about! :P So I would encourage you to check out this website for ideas of fun stuff to do tonight:

http://www.earthhour.org/news/default:en/article?id=eh6527867418953572277

Whatever you do I hope that you guys all have a good Saturday night! :)


Comments

Cupcake Blonde said…
The Strip is going dark tonight. I think it will be totally cool to watch our camera and see all the neon go out. My lights are hardly ever on at home since we are gone most of the night and then when we come home don't use too much light to get ready for bed. And I do the same as you. Recycle, use cloth bags, reuse as much stuff as I can. Good job!
Wanderlusting said…
We did it a half hour early by accident. Also, we happened to be cooking at this time so it was very awkward. But we are still in the dark!
jiggins said…
I missed the darkened Strip in Las Vegas as I am in the South of America at the moment... I will be updating my blog with photos as soon as I can. Good to see you posting on the subject as well! See you on the next post :)
Mary Ellen said…
We seemed to be the only people around here to do this - but we don't have many neighbors out here in the wilderness, so maybe there were lots!

Popular posts from this blog

Public Service Announcement

100th Post

I'm confused...