My Wedding May Kill Me

Okay so whoever said "oh wedding planning must be so fun!" is an idiot. Do I sound bitter??? Well maybe that's because I am at that point of working with the wedding planner and she says "and here's how much this will cost." The total is $20,000! I nearly wanted to throw up! How the hell am I going to afford a $20,000 wedding? I mean I know that that's not a lot of money for a wedding (my cousin's cost $60,000) but seriously. I was looking forward to a honeymoon, but now that's out the window. I am not even getting anything too fancy! WTF?

I know that all the married people out there know what I am going through and will know that at this point the LEAST helpful thing people can say to me is "oh well maybe you can not do this and do that." I always just want to say "f*#k you! Was I there trying to get you to compromise your wedding to save a few bucks?"

I know that I need to cut costs, but seriously I am not spending a lot of money on any one thing. I also know that my choice of a venue was the reason that my wedding cost so much, but I really didn't want to have my wedding at a hotel or a golf club. I have already compromised so much for everyone else and there are a few things that I won't compromise on (photographers and venue.) I didn't want a wedding like this, but I am having a more traditional wedding because that is what my family wanted, I am having a wedding at all because that is what my future husband wanted, so now I am here after spending a great deal of time trying to plan a wedding trying to keep costs down as much as I could and I am disappointed.

My plan for now is to see how much I could cut down on costs by making my reception a "cocktail reception" which should cut down on food costs and rentals, as I wouldn't need as many tables, an hopefully I can get that down into a more reasonable figure.

Oh and I should clarify I still know that $20,000 is a pretty normal amount for a wedding, but my future husband does not think so, I feel like Monica in this episode (watch the whole thing it's my life, only without the parent's beach house and the wedding book)




Oh and originally I was the one with the marriage line! I just love the the whole "If you call our wedding a party one more time, you may not get invited!" ha ha ha!

Hope you are all doing well! Much love!

Comments

Delicieux said…
Yes, 20,000 IS a lot for a wedding... but you have to remember that this day only comes once in your life! And that means it needs to be everything you've ever dreamed of (or, not, in your case because you don't want a wedding as much as le boyfriend or your family does). ESPECIALLY in that case, you should do at least the one or two things that make you incredibly happy - the venue, etc.

Good luck with all of this! I'm sure it will be absolutely lovely! ;)
You have scary bad ass spiders too? Lurker Larry was HUGE...and angry... and intended to hurt me, I'm sure of it.

Whatever you do, set some aside for the honeymoon. It really is worth it!

Hallie
Cupcake Blonde said…
I am sorry you are having such troubles. Believe me, I've been there. Coming from someone who's wedding cost WAY more than I intended even after I did a lot of it myself. If there is anythign I can do to help please let me know. I have helped three friends plan their weddings and they all said I should think about doing it professionally. :)

And delicieux is right. Make sure you keep a few elements that are totally for YOU. Remember it is YOUR day so don't make everyone else happy and forget about yourself. :)
Where are you and why no new update?

Hallie
Anonymous said…
Yeah. I hear you. I got so fed up after only viewing TWO venues that I said to hell with it and we got married three weeks later for less than $5,000. We had a beautiful wedding, but I wish that I had been able to wear a real wedding dress and that we'd had a real photographer, but c'est la vie. You are absolutely right to refuse to compromise on venue and photography - those are biggies. I have a girlfriend who saved a lot of money on her wedding by doing a lot on her own - let me know what some of your ideas are and maybe I can help you figure out how to implement them cheaper?
Mary Ellen said…
Thanks for stopping by my new blog. I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with wedding cost issues. Anybody who says wedding planning isn't one of the most stressful things you'll ever do is lying.

It's impossible to make everyone happy, so make sure you do things you can live with and don't compromise on the most important stuff.
Wanderlusting said…
Are your parents helping you out?

I'm pretty lucky that mine are paying for mine (whenever that happens) but that also means they get to pick the venue. The yacht club.

It also means that my dad might drop me off to my betrothed via his boat arriving at the dock. In my dress. Silly dad's dream but no way in hell am I going to let him choose that!

Anyway I agree on not compromising on Photography also - that is the most important thing to me. That and an open bar!

Popular posts from this blog

Public Service Announcement

I'm confused...

My Plan worked wa ha ha ha