A Weird Thing Happened Today...

Okay so first of all my vacation was AMAZING! But I am not going to blog about that today.

Today I am going to blog about a weird thing that happened to me while riding the metro to le boyfriend's house. However I must give you a little background before I explain it.

My cousin P died about 5 years ago tragically of cancer. She was in her late 30's and was probably one of the single biggest role models I have had in my life (although she never knew it, I was always a little bit intimidated to talk to her because I held her in such high regard.) The cancer was diagnosed about a month after her wedding and she died almost a year to the day later. I still remember the exact moment I found out that she died. Anyway I could write a novel about all the things that made her great, but I am not going to because even after I wrote the novel you still wouldn't have an idea of the person she was. (I could say the same about almost anyone in my family dead or alive. As I have mentioned many times I am very very lucky.) I will just briefly talk about what happened the day of her catholic funeral. I had gone out to Edmonton to stay with P's oldest sister M. M told me that before P died she had asked M to go to a psychic to try and contact her in the afterlife. They had 2 code words Sydney and Butterflies. On the day of P's funeral M received 3 pieces of mail all addressed to different people in different parts of the city, all with butterflies on them. It was weird. I am a pretty rational person and I understand that many could write that off as a coincidence, but I felt deep in my heart that P had something to do with it. (as silly as that may sound) In fact I got a butterfly tattooed on my back in memory of her.

Today on the metro I was listening to my iPod and The Scientist by Coldplay came on. This song always reminds me of P since we played it at her memorial that we held in Vancouver (where she used to live.) I know that I am tired and have been stressed but something just came over me and I felt P's presence again and I started to cry. I miss her a lot, but I am not a crier. The weird part is that the song after was "You Are Not Alone" which is one that I'd normally skip over but today its timing was so coincidental that I couldn't ignore it. I then listened to "The Scientist" again and just let myself take the moment to remember P and listen to the song and realize why it hold such meaning to me.



Come up to meet you, tell you I'm sorry
You don't know how lovely you are
I had to find you
Tell you I need you
Tell you I set you apart
Tell me your secrets
And ask me you questions
Oh let's go back to the start
Running in circles
Coming in tales
Heads are a science apart
Nobody said it was easy
It's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be this hard
Oh take me back to the start
I was just guessing
At numbers and figures
Pulling your puzzles apart
Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart
Tell me you love me
Come back and haunt me
Oh and I rush to the start
Running in circles
Chasing tails
And coming back as we are
Nobody said it was easy
Oh it's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be so hard
I'm going back to the start

Comments

Kass said…
I love this song, it makes me teary everytime I hear it. I haven't really lost someone amazing in my life. I've lost my grandparents, whom I loved, but didn't know very well, other than than, I guess I've been blessed.

Altho in saying that, I'm one of these obsessive people that constantly have death on my mind. I sometimes think I should have counselling for that..but at least I appreciate life and my loved ones , in knowing that one day they'll be gone.
Delicieux said…
Oh... I, too, love that song... such a sweet one. But it takes me back to a relationship I had at the start of college. We'll call him XM. It's one of those songs where when either of us hear it, we think of each other.

He's got a new gf now - which is great, because it took him SOOOoooo long after me to get one. But I know we'll still have that song forever and ever :)

So sorry to hear about your loss. It's always such a hard thing to deal with...
Cupcake Blonde said…
What an incredibly moving post. I am so sorry to hear about your cousin but it must be nice to feel her presence with you still. Those kind of guardian angels are what we need in life.

Popular posts from this blog

Public Service Announcement

100th Post

I'm confused...